What to do:
- Using tag board, make a large (5-inch) die (see pattern on next page).
- Tape on a photocopy or hand-drawn picture of the key episodes in a favorite story (e.g. “Brown Bear, Brown Bear”).
- Have children retell the story by rolling the die and telling what happened next by what picture lands up.
- Older children will like the scrambled nature of this activity and may want to make up their own story die.
- With younger children, make sure they are familiar with the original story version before scrambling the sequence using the story die. Otherwise, they may have difficulty with the nonsensical nature of this activity.