What to do:
- Fill empty film containers or other plastic containers with tight-fitting lids, fill with a cotton ball containing various substances such as cinnamon, cloves, onion, lemon, mint, garlic, dryer sheet, after shave, baby lotion, and so forth. Number the containers. Keep a list of which one contains each substance.
- Take the lid off the container and ask children to smell the can.
- Ask them to tell you if they like the smell or not. Have they smelled it before?
Ask older children if they can identify the smell.
- Use squirt bottles that syrup or dish detergent came in.
- Put the cotton balls in the bottles and secure the tops.
- Pull the stopper up, and squeeze the bottle sending a whiff into the air.
- Let children decide if they like the smells or not.
- Again, number the bottles and keep a list of which one contains each substance.