Sizing Things Up
What to do:
- Separate four stacking measuring cups. Let children play with them discovering how they go together.
- Help them put the smallest cup into the biggest cup and learn that there is no room for the others.
- See if they can solve the problem of what to do with the two other cups.
- Take one cup away leaving three cups and see if that is easier for them.
- After they have had a chance to play and experiment with the cups, show them how to nest the four measuring cups. You may use a post and graduated rings as an alternative for this activity.
- Use different objects from the kitchen for nesting such as a plastic mixing bowl set or recycled plastic containers that nest inside of each other.