Ice Cube Experiment
What to do:
- Start with an ice cube for each child.
- Ask the child to put only a few pieces of rock salt (used to melt sidewalk ice) on top of the ice cube.
- Have each child then drip a couple of drops of food coloring onto the rock salt.
- Allow the ice to sit for a few minutes, observing the melting salt. Tunnels will develop in the ice as the rock salt does its work, and the food coloring makes the tunnels visible.
- Freeze large chunks of ice in milk cartons, remove the ice from the carton, and do the same experiment on a larger chunk of ice.