What to do:
This is a good activity for a hot summer day.
- Collect an empty milk carton and rinse it out.
- Fill the carton with water and several drops of food coloring. Make sure the water is a deep color. You may want to add a few more drops of coloring.
- Place the carton in the freezer for several days.
- Remove the carton from the freezer, and tear the carton off the ice.
- Place the large block of ice in a dishpan or tray and watch it melt.
- Toddlers will be curious about the color. They will want to touch it and splash in the colored water. Preschoolers will tell you how cold the ice feels.
- Keep a watchful eye on children while engaged in this water game. Even a small amount of water in a dishpan could be hazardous to a small child who falls face first into the container.