What to do:
- Position overhead projector on blank wall, screen, or white sheet.
- Put a flat glass dish on projector.
- Have children add several drops of water. Then have them add a few drops of food coloring of one of the primary colors (red, yellow, or blue) and wiggle the dish and swirl the beads of food coloring with a toothpick. Ask the children what color they see.
- Add a second primary color. Swirl on one side of dish. Ask the children what happened.
- Repeat with new colors or start over with a different combination of primary colors. A drop of black ink will make darker shades of color or, swirled around on the plate, will make an interesting design.