Coffee Filter Art
What to do:
- Have children recycle old, broken crayons by scraping a dull knife or popsicle stick along the crayon and catching the shavings in a foil pie pan.
- Place a coffee filter on several layers of newspaper.
- Take different colors of crayon shavings from the pie pan and arrange them on a flattened coffee filter.
- Place a piece of construction paper on top.
- Press with a warm iron. Child will get two pieces of art – a design on the white coffee filter and a print of the same design on the construction paper.
- Teachers should supervise children using the warm iron.
- Use colors of crayons to harmonize with holidays or seasons, such as spring green and pastels for spring; autumn oranges, reds, and browns for fall, etc.
- Mount coffee filter on construction paper of same color as print and hang side by side. This will make interesting