This activity teaches children to identify letters of the alphabet while playing a fun game modeled after musical chairs.
What to do:
This activity is modeled loosely after musical chairs. The object of the game is for
the group to find all the sheets of paper with a particular letter on it, e.g. “a.” Once
all the “a’s” have been found, begin again with a new letter.
- Write a letter on each sheet of paper. With younger children, use just two or three different letters, e.g. “a,” “b,” “c.” Make several copies of each letter.
- Scatter several sheets of paper with letters around a large room.
- Begin playing record or tape. Have children march in a small circle in the center of the room.
- Stop the music. Children are to find all the sheets of paper with the letter “a.”
- Begin again having them find a different letter